By N. K. Ratha, Venu Govindaraju
Biometrics know-how keeps to stride ahead with its wider attractiveness and its genuine desire in a variety of new defense features of recent society. From easily going online to a computer to crossing the border of a rustic, biometrics is being referred to as upon to satisfy the growing to be demanding situations of identification management.
With contributions from academia and through best overseas gurus within the box, this precise booklet provides a complete therapy of biometrics and provides assurance of the complete gamut of issues within the box, together with info acquisition, pattern-matching algorithms, and matters that influence on the process point, resembling criteria, defense, networks, and databases. it's been equipped lower than 3 sections: sensors, advances in biometric matching algorithms, and subject matters that take care of matters on the platforms level.
Key good points:
• comprises new algorithmic advances, together with physiological biometrics (face from video, iris at a distance) and behavioral (handwriting, voice) and a strikingly novel modality in headprint biometrics
• comprises new modalities for examine, equivalent to infrared and multispectral imaging
• provides a number of chapters at the a lot ignored sector on the subject of the sensors themselves for a few of the biometric modalities
• Emphasizes the advances and state-of-the-art applied sciences throughout
• Discusses structures point either from a human-factors standpoint and the viewpoint of networking, databases, privateness and anti-spoofing
• comprises chapters dedicated to touchless photograph trap, ultrasonic imaging and swipe methods
Written for researchers and complex scholars, this a lot wanted concise quantity is a perfect device to take advantage of as a prepared reference and captures the very most recent in state of the art study, supplying readers with a broader and deeper realizing of the topic.
Dr Nalini ok. Ratha is a learn employees Member on the IBM Thomas J. Watson study heart, long island. He co-edited the winning Automatic Fingerprint attractiveness Systems and likewise co-authored A consultant to Biometrics choice and procedure Design
Professor Venu Govindaraju is Director on the heart for Unified Biometrics and Sensors (CUBS), collage at Buffalo, nation college of recent York.
Read or Download Advances in Biometrics: Sensors, Algorithms and Systems PDF
Similar algorithms and data structures books
This updated reference deals beneficial theoretical, algorithmic, and computational directions for fixing the main often encountered linear-quadratic optimization difficulties - supplying an outline of contemporary advances on top of things and structures thought, numerical linear algebra, numerical optimization, medical computations, and software program engineering.
- ISO IEC 9075-1:1999, Information technology - Database languages - SQL - Part 1: Framework (SQL Framework)
- Analysis of Panel Data (Econometric Society Monographs)
- Algorithmes paralleles pour le calcul formel: algebre lineaire creuse et extensions algebriques
- CRC Handbook of Enthalpy Data of Polymer-Solvent Systems
- Genetic Algorithms: Principles and Perspectives: A Guide to GA Theory (Operations Research/Computer Science Interfaces Series)
Extra info for Advances in Biometrics: Sensors, Algorithms and Systems
The computed 3D ﬁnger geometry can be used to virtually roll 2 Touchless Fingerprinting Technology 41 Fig. 18. A detail of the 3D ridge–valley structure. Fig. 19. Rolled-equivalent ﬁngerprint obtained using a virtual roll. 19). The University of Kentucky and TBS use two diﬀerent approaches to project the 3D shape of the ﬁnger onto a 2D plane. The ﬁrst of them uses a spring algorithm proposed by Atkins et al. (2000) for digital halftoning postprocessing. In this approach, each point is treated as if it were connected to the neighboring points by springs and moved to a location where the energy in the springs is a minimum.
A fake ﬁngerprint can be easily obtained printing a ridge pattern on a matte colored paper. Then, the paper can be folded onto any ﬁnger and presented to the device. To increase the absorption of the light and simulate more precisely the skin reﬂection properties, it is suﬃcient to use a paper with the same color of the illuminating light. This ensures obtaining a ﬁnal image very similar to the image obtained from a real ﬁnger. 12: a ﬁngerprint image was printed on a green paper and then glued onto a ﬁnger.
The correction can be done using the position of the ﬁngertip captured by the camera or measuring the position of the ﬁnger within the ring by the use of an additional position sensor. The diﬃculty of the ring-mirror approach is represented by the inconstant speed v of the ﬁnger. In fact, because the user cannot control the speed of her or his ﬁnger during the acquisition, the camera must have a shutter speed high enough also to capture small movements of the ﬁnger. Unfortunately, the relatively high costs of the ring mirror, which must be manufactured with special techniques to obtain a very ﬂat surface, made the development of a ten-printer device based on this approach impossible.